Psoriasis is a chronic autoimmune skin condition that affects millions of people worldwide. Characterised by the rapid buildup of skin cells, it leads to the development of red, scaly, and often itchy patches on the skin's surface. While there is no known cure for psoriasis, effective management of its symptoms is entirely possible. In this comprehensive guide, we'll explore the world of psoriasis and delve into the natural skincare solutions that can make a real difference.
To effectively manage psoriasis, it's crucial to have a good understanding of the condition itself. Psoriasis is an autoimmune disorder that results in the rapid growth of skin cells. This overproduction causes skin cells to accumulate on the skin's surface, leading to the formation of plaques and patches. While the exact cause of psoriasis is still under investigation, it is thought to be related to a combination of genetic and environmental factors.
The Impact of Psoriasis
Living with psoriasis can be challenging. The visible symptoms can affect one's self-esteem and overall quality of life. These symptoms include:
- Red, inflamed skin
- Silvery scales
- Itching and burning sensations
- Dry, cracked skin that may even bleed
- Joint pain (in some forms of psoriasis)
The Importance of Stress Management
Stress is a well-known trigger for psoriasis flare-ups. High-stress levels can activate the body's immune response, which, in turn, can worsen psoriasis symptoms. Therefore, effective stress management is a crucial component of psoriasis care.
Stress Reduction Techniques
- Meditation: Mindfulness meditation can help reduce stress and promote emotional well-being.
- Yoga: Practicing yoga can improve flexibility and reduce stress levels.
- Deep Breathing Exercises: Deep, slow breathing can calm the nervous system and reduce stress.
The Role of Moisturisation
One of the simplest and most effective ways to manage psoriasis is through regular moisturising. Dry skin can worsen psoriasis symptoms, leading to discomfort and irritation.
Choosing the Right Moisturiser
- Select sensitive skin products: Look for moisturisers specifically formulated for sensitive skin.
- Avoid synthetic irritants: Products with synthetic fragrances and harsh chemicals can exacerbate psoriasis symptoms.
- Natural Ingredients: Choose products with soothing and hydrating natural ingredients.
Natural Skincare Psoriasis Solutions
At Manuka Biotic, we are committed to providing natural skincare products that are safe and effective for psoriasis sufferers. Our products are crafted from carefully selected natural ingredients, each with unique benefits in managing psoriasis symptoms.
1. Psoriasis Hydration and Protection with Eczema Relief Body Lotion
When it comes to psoriasis care, skin hydration is essential. Manuka Biotic's Eczema Relief Body Lotion is specially formulated to deeply hydrate, reduce redness associated with psoriasis, and protect your dry skin. By doing so, it reduces the risk of irritation and itching, allowing you to go about your day comfortably. This soothing body lotion contains ingredients like shea butter, rosehip oil, jojoba oil, calendula, and Mānuka oil, ensuring that your skin stays moisturised, preventing dryness and discomfort.
2. Calming Body Wash
Our Calming Body Wash, infused with Manuka oil, is specifically crafted to provide deep cleansing of the skin. It helps ensure your skin barrier is clean, allowing the Body Lotion to create a protective barrier, preventing further damage and irritation.
3. Mānuka Oil infused Bath Soak
Our certified organic Mānuka Oil is a luxurious addition to your psoriasis care routine. You can enhance your bathing experience by adding 1-3 drops of certified organic Mānuka oil to any natural bath soaks, such as those containing Magnesium or Epsom salts. This infusion of minerals and our Mānuka essential oil into your bath offers a truly relaxing and therapeutic experience that goes beyond conventional skincare.
The Power of Mānuka Oil
Certified organic Mānuka oil is renowned for its potent antibacterial and hydrating properties, as research shows. By incorporating it into your bath, you're taking a proactive step in managing psoriasis symptoms. Here's how Mānuka-infused bath soak can benefit your skin:
- Hydration: Psoriasis often leads to dry and cracked skin. Mānuka oil helps replenish lost moisture, leaving your skin feeling soft and hydrated.
- Bacterial Defence: Psoriasis-prone skin can be more susceptible to bacterial infections due to its compromised barrier. Research shows that Mānuka oil's antibacterial properties can help keep your skin's surface free from harmful microorganisms.
- Relaxation: The addition of Mānuka oil to your bath provides a soothing and calming experience, reducing stress, which is known to trigger psoriasis flare-ups.
How to Create a Mānuka Oil Infused Bath Soak
Incorporating our organic Mānuka oil into bath soak into your psoriasis care routine is simple:
- Fill your bath: Start by drawing a warm bath to your desired depth.
- Add natural bath soak: Pour in your chosen natural bath soak, which may contain magnesium or Epsom salts.
- Mānuka oil infusion: Add 1-3 drops of certified organic Mānuka oil to the bath. Gently agitate the water to disperse the oil.
- Soak and relax: Immerse yourself in the bath and soak for a recommended duration, typically 20-30 minutes.
- Pat dry: After your bath, gently pat your skin dry with a soft, clean towel, leaving it slightly damp.
- Apply the Eczema Relief Body Lotion: Following your bath, apply the Eczema Relief Body Lotion all over your skin. This step helps lock in moisture and further hydrates your skin, promoting a comfortable and soothing sensation.
The addition of our certified organic Mānuka oil into your bath and following it up with the Eczema Relief Body Lotion, you're taking proactive steps towards managing your psoriasis symptoms and maintaining healthier, well-hydrated skin. It's a holistic approach that combines relaxation, skincare, and hydration for a more comfortable and confident you.
For daily showers, use our Calming Body Wash to help keep the skin clear and reduce inflammation. For drier patches, try our Restorative Hand Cream. This non-greasy, thicker cream is perfect for aiding skin repair and can be used all over the body and face, even overnight.
A Holistic Approach to Psoriasis Management
At Manuka Biotic, we believe in a holistic approach to managing psoriasis. In addition to our natural psoriasis solutions, consider the following lifestyle changes to further improve your psoriasis symptoms:
- Maintain a balanced diet rich in fruits, vegetables, and anti-inflammatory foods.
- Stay well-hydrated by drinking plenty of water.
- Avoid alcohol and smoking, as they can trigger flare-ups.
- Protect your skin from excessive sun exposure.
Managing Psoriasis is challenge, but with the right tools and resources, it can be effectively managed. We are dedicated to providing you with the highest quality natural skincare products to support your psoriasis care journey. Say goodbye to irritating synthetic ingredients and say hello to a more comfortable and confident you. Try our natural psoriasis skincare solutions today and experience the difference in your psoriasis care routine.
1. Dr Chelsea Jones, Newcastle, Australia; Dr Monisha Gupta, Dermatologist, Australia (2020); updated by Dr Salim Uddin, Medical Registrar, New Zealand; A/Prof Amanda Oakley, Dermatologist, Hamilton, New Zealand (2023). Reviewing dermatologist: Dr Ian Coulson. DermNet NZ Psoriasis Available here
2. lsaud, N., Shahbaz, K., & Farid, M. (2021) Antioxidant and antibacterial evaluation of Manuka leaves (Leptospermum scoparium) extracted by hydrophobic deep eutectic solvent, Chemical Engineering Research and Design, Volume 174, October 2021, Pages 96-. Available here.
3. Pedonese, F., Longo, E., Torracca, B., Najar, B., Fratini, F., & Nuvoloni, R. (2022) Antimicrobial and anti-biofilm activity of manuka essential oil against Listeria monocytogenes and Staphylococcus aureus of food origin, Italian Journal of Food Safety, Volume 11, Issue 1, Article 10039, Published online 2022 Feb 22. Available here.